Tuesday, February 23, 2010


So here is my newest piece in progress. I'm very fascinated with old archetypes like the fairytale "forest" and cautionary tales. So I guess this is a step in that direction.

I've been reading this book "Why Fairy Tales Stick" by Jack Zipes. It's really fascinating. It's amazing to think about the fact that many cultures have so many similar stories that have been around for hundreds of years. Even a story like "Little Red Riding Hood" has roots in Greek mythology.

Zipes says: "since the human species (was) similar throughout the world, humans responded to their environment in similar ways, giving rise to identical tales that varied only according to the customs they developed."

I guess we have a need to interpret things that happen to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment